Monday, October 20, 2008

Good Family Times and More Rallies!

One of the highlights of living out here is that we have family nearby! And by nearby, I mean within a day's drive. On Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, Darc and I met up with Amber and Stephen to camp for the weekend in Pickett State Park in northern, rural Tennessee. We both drove just over 6 hours to meet in the middle. It was so great! Amber and Stephen are such a fun couple to hang out with...I am so lucky to have in-laws that have become such good friends. We did some great hikes, ate a LOT of food (no turkey, but who can turn down a hot dog cooked in a campfire), and totally experienced the rural south at its best. We drove down so many little windy roads to end up in the most redneck area I have ever been. And I use the term "redneck," affectionately, as I do have a little redneck in my blood. So I think I'm allowed to use that word. :) We encountered many people with southern accents so strong we could only understand every third word, and our last sighting before we left was a father/son combo with mullets hanging down both their backs. Love it.
Beautiful hikes!

The wine was...different. Okay, not good. But a very fun experience, nonetheless.

A turtle that Stephen saved from being run over.

The scenery was gorgeous!

Our other recent adventure was expanding our political horizons to see McCain speak right here in our hometown of Concord! Totally a different experience this time than when we watched Obama, but I loved the people watching just as much, if not more.



I love that a random man's hand is giving a thumbs-up...so funny!

Passionate supportors with their "Plumber Joe" signs.

I am deep into the preparation for report cards and parent conferences, so I apologize if there will be a little break with the blogs. But who knows...I may need a break, and this is always a good way to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home