Sunday, June 08, 2008

Inspired

While taking a beautiful walk this evening with Darcen, we discovered a new neighbourhood which had a bookstore. At this bookstore, I bought a book titled "Romancing the Ordinary" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. And now, after reading an excerpt from the book, I am inspired. She explains how the more you focus on what is missing from your life, the emptier you will feel. Instead, she encourages you to make note of any time you feel a sense of abundance unexpectedly. She says, "Just as a lover woos with one sweet gesture at a time, so does Life. That's why we're going to be grateful for the unexpected ordinary, moments or pleasures that bestow a genuine sense of contentment and well-being."

Immediately after reading that section of the book, I decided to start my own gratitude journal. Here are my thoughts on what I am grateful for today:

1. Discovering an charming new neighbourhood only blocks from our house that we never knew existed.
2. Meeting the interesting man with flowing grey hair from the bookstore.
3. Reading a new book that inspires me.
4. Meeting an old friend for lunch today.
5. Coming home after lunch only to find that Darcen had been cleaning the house while I was gone.
6. Having a coffee date with Darcen at Tim Hortons.
7. Seeing comments on my blog. :)
8. Waking up in the morning feeling rested.
9. The Simpson's for making me laugh.
10. Darcen for making me one of our favourite snacks; cheese dip.
11. Having a good hair day.
12. Crisp fresh air.
13. Getting most of my marking done.
14. Watching parts of "A Cinderella Story" on T.V. That movie makes me happy.
15. My family and friends.
16. Having a faith that I am confident and secure in.

I encourage you to start your own "Gratitude Journal." When time is taken to reflect on the little things that life has to offer, it's hard not to feel happy and content about life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home