Book Recommendations
Although I'm deep into report cards right now, I've managed to take some time to read some really good books that I highly recommend.

First of all, I just loved the book, "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli. Keep in mind that I'm also telling my 5th grade girls to read it, but it's a fantastic book for all ages. Basically, it's a story about a girl who calls herself "Stargirl." She is a high school girl who doesn't follow any conventional societal rules and many of the people she encounters don't know what to make of her. For example, she plays happy birthday on a ukele to each student on their birthday even though she doesn't know them. She reads the classified to find ways to do random acts of kindness to strangers. It's a fascinating book...and I really found myself inspired and contemplative about my life after I finished it. Thanks Alli and Amber for telling me about this book!

The second book I've read is called, "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. It is an incredibly powerful book and is very well-written. Walls writes her memoir without an ounce of self-pity...she remains optimistic and affectionate towards her parents even when her upbringing should bring out the opposite emotions. I loved this book so much. It is definitely a book I will read again. Check it out!



2 Comments:
At 4:26 PM,
Stephen and Amber said…
I love these books! Stephen started calling me Stargirl I talked about this book so much. There is a sequel which I have not read but Allison has. I do not think she liked it as much. And I love The Glass Castle. I gave it to Grandma Esau for Christmas!
Great post!
At 5:34 PM,
LOWELL said…
Hey susan. Unrelated to this post...
Zab wants you to call him asap. We do not have your number and he cannot find it.. so he asked me to leave a message here in case you get it. His number is 966-7106.
Take care,
- Lowell
Post a Comment
<< Home