A Story
This is a factual scene that I witnessed this morning. Names have been changed.
This scene occurs in the basement of a library. I am checking my email. A haggard-looking male student, Jim, is intently doing research at his computer beside me.
A female student, Erica, enters the scene. She is casually dressed in jeans and a red sweater. She eagerly approaches Jim.
Erica: Hi.
Jim (without looking up): Hi.
Erica: So...guess what?
Jim: (no response, still looking at the computer)
Erica: (she leans in and whispers) I did something crazy last night.
Jim: (still working away) Oh.
Erica: Ya...so, I got married last night.
Erica shoves her ring in Jim's face. Jim does not notice. He is typing and looking at the computer screen.
Jim: Oh.
Jim's expression has not changed, nor has he looked up.
Erica: I just knew I had to get Katie out of the way. It had to be done.
Still no response from Jim. He is still anxiously researching.
Erica looks at Jim for a moment. Another moment passes. Still no response.
Erica: Well.
Erica pauses another moment.
Erica: I'm going to to sit down and study.
Jim: Okay.
Erica walks away. Jim continues to research. His expression does not change. I am fascinated by this whole interaction, so I decide to blog about it.
End of scene.
This scene occurs in the basement of a library. I am checking my email. A haggard-looking male student, Jim, is intently doing research at his computer beside me.
A female student, Erica, enters the scene. She is casually dressed in jeans and a red sweater. She eagerly approaches Jim.
Erica: Hi.
Jim (without looking up): Hi.
Erica: So...guess what?
Jim: (no response, still looking at the computer)
Erica: (she leans in and whispers) I did something crazy last night.
Jim: (still working away) Oh.
Erica: Ya...so, I got married last night.
Erica shoves her ring in Jim's face. Jim does not notice. He is typing and looking at the computer screen.
Jim: Oh.
Jim's expression has not changed, nor has he looked up.
Erica: I just knew I had to get Katie out of the way. It had to be done.
Still no response from Jim. He is still anxiously researching.
Erica looks at Jim for a moment. Another moment passes. Still no response.
Erica: Well.
Erica pauses another moment.
Erica: I'm going to to sit down and study.
Jim: Okay.
Erica walks away. Jim continues to research. His expression does not change. I am fascinated by this whole interaction, so I decide to blog about it.
End of scene.



4 Comments:
At 9:48 PM,
Lowell & Julie said…
What?! How did it end? Did she really get married?
I'm hooked now Susan. You'll have to find them again and find out all the details!
At 12:17 AM,
shareen said…
excuse me - what? that is crazy! but I love crazy stories like that. you know what it reminds me of though? my friend ryan and i, when we were bored (funnily enough when we were studying at the u of a library) we would make up crazy scenarios and then act them out around unsuspecting people in the library or in CAB or the HUB or wherever just to see how they'd react...maybe someone's playing our game!!
At 7:30 PM,
Lowell & Julie said…
Shareen, what kind of a family were you raised in anyway?!??!!
At 7:44 PM,
Susan said…
I have been keeping my eyes open for those two, but with no luck. Oh and Julie, just for the record, so had on a huge rock, so I just assumed the story was true.
Shareen, what can I say. You are hilarious.
Post a Comment
<< Home